Monday, April 8, 2019

The Orphan's Tale by Pam Jenoff

     They say that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but I have to say I was really attracted to the book BECAUSE OF the cover picture.  Though I loved the cover, this is a sad story about the lives of two main characters, Noa and Astrid, whose lives intertwine and overlap. It includes the many trials and struggles each woman faced during one of the worst events in history. The book was well written but there were times I felt each of the main characters was being overly dramatic. I didn't think some of the character's actions were true to the character's personality as developed by the writer. It is generally bleak, given the topic.  There is violence and some content not suitable for younger readers.
     I must say I enjoyed using HOOPLA to listen to this story. It has become rather addicting to be able to listen to great stories while I'm busy with tasks that don't require incredible concentration. Sometimes I have to actually pick up the hard copy of the book so I can visualize the trade-off of a rotating pattern of the story being told by various characters.
     It seems like I have listened to several books about the holocaust lately, though I didn't intentionally seek out books about the topic.  I enjoy historical fiction.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment